Monday, August 5, 2013

Buy Me

I posted about my purging process the other day, and I thought I'd bookend that with a post on buying.

Fall collections seem to be fully in stores in some parts of the world, dribbling in online or making peeps onto counters.  I don't really have a price point in mind, nor do I have specific brands I'm targeting.  Generally, my interest gets piqued when I see blog posts, some PR images and general world of mouth.

When Sales (that are "exclusive") rev me up:
Nordstrom recently ended their anniversary sale and one of their early items was the Dior Mystic Metallic Bonne Etoile quad.  It was also reviewed by Gaia on the Nonblonde.  I am not a Nordstrom card holder, but all the buzz was killing me.  Since it would eventually get to other retailers, I sat on my hands so that I could see it in person.  (fyi, all pictures are just phone pics, some out of focus, some only marginally color correct)
Don't you love it when seeing it in person kills it dead?  I found a tester at Bloomingdales and played to my heart's content.  The colors are so pretty, but much too muddy for my taste.

Surprising desires aflamed:
I went to Bergdorf Goodman and saw that the counter had the display set up and items available for presale.  They have a couple of new products available, including an eye primer, LE eye shadow trios, LE nail polishes and a pen style eye liner in black.

I was really mostly interested in the eye shadow trios.  Here's She Wolf on top and The Pink on the bottom.
DAMN IT, TOM?  WHY YOU MAKE SUCH A PRETTY PINK PALETTE?!  While the grey She Wolf didn't do much for me, The Pink really really really got me going.  The matte shade is smooth, the middle shimmer shade is a beautiful warm, peachy pink and the glitter shade was very delicate and pretty indeed.  INDEED, TOM!

Oh, some other pictures of Tom Ford here.  I went a-scribbling with the new liner with the dual ends.  Nice and black, but not sure this would outperform some other black pen tip liners you may already use.  There's the eye primer to the left and right of the three big stripes.  Not sure you can see it.  It is a cream and a powder in one jar.

Doesn't matter what it looks like in person.  I'm going to BUY it:
Of all the western Fall collection, the Guerlain Voilette de Madame really appealed to me with the ad image and Driveller Kate's favorable review of Madame Flirt lipstick pretty much sealed the deal.
 
When I did see the display in person at Bergdorf (also available only for pre-sell at this moment), I did get a chance to play with all the bits and bobs.

 Rouge G's in Batifole, Flirte and Reve (L to R).  The new eye liners *shrugs* and two of the eye shadow duos.  The one on top is Two Rock, which Clare from Visionary Beauty reviewed here.  Please read her comprehensive review, I totally agree with her.  I will not be picking any of these up.  Two Parisian is the one on the bottom.
I will most definitely be looking to purchase Flirte.  So pretty!  I also swatched the Madame Rougit blush (to the right of the eye shadows), but it's impossible to see.  My experience is that these blushes are impossible to swatch, but look much better on the skin and picks up well with the brush.  See my post on the Asia-exclusive Blush G Sakura here to see what I mean.

Must see in person before leaping:
Despite the fact that the Fall Armani is on line at Nordstrom, I really want to see them in person and have been impatiently making my rounds at the local counters the past few weeks. 

I nearly lost all my marbles after seeing Sara's posts on the new ETK here and the Face & Eye palettes here.  Since I wasn't 100% impressed with the summer palette and I don't have a lot of experience with the brand, I am waiting to see them in person.

I dunno, I dunno.  It could go either way.  The duo-chromy #34 ETK look incredible, but how many bright and duochrome shades would a neutral wearer need?  Like zero?

Don't EVEN get me started:
For any of you with even a tiny interest in Japanese brands, this post by the Driveller Kate is a MUST READ.  She's covered all the neat brands and their new Fall offerings.  I'm dead.

With new seasonal collections coming out, how do you plan for your purchases?  What influences you the most when you pull the trigger and buy?

P.S. so proud I bought nothing on this walking tour.
P.P.S.  This post makes post #200 on Wondegondigo! 
P.P.P.S these post scripts make me feel like I'm writing a girly grade school letter. :)  I pulled the trigger on Guerlain blush, M. Flirte as well as the Tom Ford The Pink trio.

33 comments :

  1. She Wolf look gorgeous!! So does The Pink, but I can't do pinks (rabbity eyes) so I'm safe.

    I haven't tried any of the Armani ETK duochromes, that much shimmer isn't my thing. But the ETK palettes from last fall are still some of my favorites and Rouge d'Armani lipsticks are my HG formula (he's got some really pretty new shades for fall).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rouge d'Armani have some beautiful colors! I plan on looking at the lipsticks when I check out the Fall.

      I'm not a huge fan of pinks, especially after Shiseido Pink Sands looked so sad on me, but these are so warm and pretty. :) My flesh, 'tis weak.

      Delete
  2. Oh Belly... Still haven't ordered GA Palette? It seems you need more teasing on that (post in the way)! ;-))

    Thanks for the mention and lovely swatched of TF, are they available yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aieee, Sara. The surprise love of the pink TF palette is making me think carefully about how much GA I'm going to buy. :) (I LOVED your Dior to GA comparison. So helpful)

      TF is on display at the Bergdorf but only avail for pre-sale. I'm going to check out Saks and see if the display is up and the product is for sale. :)

      Must...be...strong...

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed reading about your thought process when buying make-up; I tend to have similar rules in place! It's awesome sometimes how seeing something in person just kills a lemming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, Rocaille! I love a dead lemming. :) nothing so satisfying.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for my mention and link :) I am really liking the look of both of those tom ford trios, I bet they will sell out fast so I'll have to be quick off the mark for those.
    I kinda get the feeling that both of the Dior quints for fall will look a bit too over the top on me and yet I just know I will end up picking them up..its an addiction I tell you...
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, we have a serrrrrious problem. ;-)
      Do you think the purple Dior will come to the UK? It's only available as a Nordstrom exclusive here. That is super pretty, toooooo.

      Delete
  5. Hahaha....I loved this post! You have a wonderful honest & very amusing way of just telling it how it is :) You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buggsie Bee, I am so happy when I hear there are others out there like me! ;-) I also put in way too much though about which this or that or not I'm going to buy.

      Delete
  6. My reaction to this post: Yes yes yes, oh I'm sorry Bonne Etoile didn't work for you, OMG ARMANI FALL COME TO ME NOW.

    So. Uh. Thanks for the links?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally a THANKS FOR NUTHIN' situation right? I needed to share my pain.

      Delete
  7. Hmmmm. I am most intrigued by the two TF trios. I might have to cave and get those. Maybe I will have to run down to NM to see them! WOWZA about the two Guerlain shadow duos-- they look like crunchy glitter fall-out central. PASS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the TFs look super intriguing. I agree!! That Guerlain. eeeeeh. After I played with those two, I decided not to even swatch the others. The glitter fall out was horrifying.

      Delete
    2. I think I'll just pass on the whole Guerlain collection-- unless I see something in person that really blows me away. Truthfully the crunchy glitter fall-out has turned me off so much that I have sort of lost my curiosity about the collection. As for the two TF e/s trios-- I hate to put this out there-- especially since you aren't having an inherent pull to the She Wolf palette, but the two palettes actually look extraordinary together. Me thinks that's what he had in mind. Must save pennies!

      Delete
    3. Evil, Tom. It would look to be a pleasing quad! I'm pretty sure I will only get The Pink one, but maybe with all my other greys/charcoals, I can mimic the look. Ooh! Very excited now.

      You may like the blush. The pink is very pretty though doesn't swatch attractively for a blog post. And the lipsticks feel really nice. I just purchased the Flirte & the blush on NM.

      Delete
    4. LOL, I can't count or add! Adding 3 plus 3 would not be 4, right?
      A sext? LOL!

      Delete
    5. I fear that I might end up with both- naughty Tom!!! I do need to see them in person first, I think. You might not be craving She Wolf, but I have to say that it looks magical against your skin tone- me thinks you need it, matey! Yes, the Guerlain blush looks pretty. I am also tempted by the one you got from Izzy's. Are you loving and using it, or are you finding it too sparkly now that you have lived with it for a while. I need to know whether to maintain or abandon my obsession- LOL!!!! A sext- LOL! LOVE IT!

      Delete
    6. you're a terrible influence! :P I ended up only ordering the pink one because, because....trying to be good.
      The Izzy's Guerlain blush is so pretty. I haven't tried it since I've gotten tan over a recent vacation, but I need to see how it looks now. On fair skins, I think it looks so pretty. I don't think the sparkles are over the top for me. But then again, I do like them shimmers! :DD Sexts for everyone! Anthony Weiner for everyone!

      Delete
    7. LOL!! Did they let you take it home, or did they strictly adhere to the whole pre-sale dealio? I am calling NM today to find out if they have the testers yet. I need to see them in person, but fear that I might "need" both.

      I'm going to study your swatches of the Izzy's Guerlain blush some more-- because I might have to have it. I like shimmer too-- just not OTT.

      EWWWWW- Anthony Weiner is super yuck!!!!

      Delete
    8. Nope. I *think* the selling stock is not in the store yet, but not sure. Definitely see it in person. I think the pink trio had a nicer texture than she wolf from what I recall. But regardless, you might *need* both. eeeyep.

      Weiner...ewwwwww.

      Delete
    9. THat makes sense. I spoke to the MUA at NM in BH and she said that they still don't have the testers and aren't sure when they will arrive-- though she was under the impression that it would be toward the end of the month. I will try to be good when I go to the counter, but I can't guarantee that I won't come home with both palettes!

      Yup, super ewwwwwwww. I'm sorry that you have to share a coast with him :(

      Delete
  8. I loved being allowed to hop along your breeze through the counters! (well, e-hop.... still hoping to do it in the flesh one day... wow, so much filthies)
    I actually played with the Armani face palettes myself and they are KILLER! Not usually a fan at all of their textures but these are silky droolworthiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day, I long to traipse naked through selfridges with you and nicole.. what..? What are we talking about?

      Look, the script is, you're supposed to tell me how the Armani palettes were completely disgusting and not even worth looking at in person. Remember? Way to RUIN IT, KATE! WAY TO RUIN MY WALLET.

      Delete
  9. Oh my, this post is totally what I"ve been going through, debating long and hard whether I need both Dior quints. But I swatched both quints twice in person and didn't end up "WOWed", yet for some unknown reason a part of me still yearning for those. I mean, Bonne Etoile looks muddy and Constellation is not that unique, right?? RIGHT?!

    LOL it's tiring to have such battle within the brain sometimes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BE was muddy on you, too?! Mud Twins! I haven't seen Constellation in person, so I can't say, but it does look really nice in pictures. But I don't desire that one for some reason. Whew.

      WAY too much energy expended on this. I knows it! :D

      Delete
  10. Belly- I said to myself that after my after my Armani haul that would be it for awhile- then came along TOM! and then I remembered the tantalising Suqqu and Addiction collections to come. Oh be damned.......I do not see an end to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I (at this time... so far..LOL!) passed on Armani. I need to save a little money for the Asia stuff. :)

      Delete
  11. I felt the exact same way about the Dior quint! I thought I was going to NEED it but in the end I felt totally MEH about it. Phew! And Madame Flirt really is gorgeous...if it shows up in my area I just *may* have to cave and buy my first Guerlain lippie ($50, GAH!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a nice feeling when seeing something kills it! :) We have the same experience w. the Dior! It is very pretty, I'm so happy it looked so ehhh on me.

      Delete
  12. Nods, nods, nods. And for me: if there's a GWP, added from my fave SA, who has been helping me getting X from way back when. That seals the deal (read: the death grip of a saleswoman). Shame on me.

    And who cares whether or not I look like Natalia V, heck, I'm going to buy whatever she's wearing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. That pink TF palette is surprisingly pretty!!
      PPS. Maybe I should just get the Two Parisian instead of the TF pink, what do you think?
      PPPS. Happy 200th post!

      Delete
    2. :) YAY 200! I used to LOVE gwps, until I realized that I always had a pile of unused deluxe samples all over the place. Thank goodness for swapping and blogsales, because those suckers go right in the box now. Me, I prefer the TF pink to the Guerlain.
      Do try to see the duos in person. I thought the quality was really iffy when I went to see them!!!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...