Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Highlighters & Complexion Brighteners - Swatch Set

Sometimes, I admit, a little bit of faking is not a bad thing.  Be it bronzers to pretend I don't inhabit a bat cave of an office, or extra blush to look a little orgasmic (giggle!), a little bit of brightness to the skin implies that I've a radiant skin.  I admit, sometimes I need a little help.

Well, I need a LOT of help in life, but the kind of help I mean is the kind to fake that radiant skin.  Here are my faker helpers.  There is also the illuminate portion of the Tom Ford Shade and Illuminate palette, but I find it to be a near dupe to the RMS Living Luminizer (pictured below in the white round pot).
 I have a variety of magical liquids, creams, a powder and et cetera.


  • Guerlain Cruel Gardenia.  Magical Limited Edition glorious prettiness. 
  • RMS Living Luminizer.  A pearly white cream that is slightly tacky in texture.  If you want to look like Gisele Bundchen, well, now you know.  Doesn't last very well on my skin.  It's quite emollient and my skin just sucks it up.
  • Rouge Bunny Rouge Sea of Tranquility.  A liquid of impossibly fine shimmer that is cooly pale pink.  Both this and Sea of Showers mix beautifully into foundations.
  • Rouge Bunny Rouge Sea of Showers.  Beautiful golden and again with a fine shimmer
  • Omorovicza Complexion Brightener.  I think this is discontinued and replaced by the Complexion Corrector.  A multi-purpose gem, that works under your foundation or mixed into it.  Or to highlight specific points.  I try to use small amounts when I do.  The SPF in this product takes on a very chalky look when I overindulge.
In terms of application method (when not mixed into foundation), I'm a huge fan of fingers.  Ha!  I am a huge fan of fingers!  I find I can barely function withOUT fingers.  Ha!  (Mr. Belly would like to know what I am giggling about)  *ahem*  In all seriousness, I dot the product and blend with my fingers.  There's enough control and I can blend well.  

For Cruel Gardenia, I've been using a brush from Hakuhodo, the J5521.
 It's dense for excellent blending, but has a pointed end that allows me to be precise with placement.
Where do I apply to fake glowing skin?  For me I like the tops of my cheekbones taking care of avoid the front of my cheeks where I have more prominent pores.  Overdoing the application would likely highlight my crater-like pores.  I also like to apply to the bridge of my nose and perhaps on the cupid bow of my lips and on my brow bone.  When I am dressed to kill, you know, when I go out on the town, I can apply to my collar bones and on the tops of my shoulders.  Oh who am I kidding?  I'm normally in my ratty sweatpants eating Doritos.  But if I WERE going out, that's where I would put it.

Some pictures?
 In the direct natural light so that YOU. CAN. SEE. TEH. SHIMMER.  SHIMMER  SHIMMER!  I've applied more than you would possibly want to apply on your face at one time.  Unless you kind of like it.  A teeny tiny dot of the RBR liquid goes a long way.
And some pictures of a well-loved Cruel Gardenia.  I LOBE IT SO!
When I ran into this beauty in a random duty free shop months after it was sold out everywhere, I may have wept with happiness.  Ok, maybe I didn't, but I was pretty happy.
Are you a faker, too?  What are you fakery secrets?

Oh, so I'm planning a giveaway.  I hope you are close to guessing what I have planned up my pantaloons.

25 comments :

  1. Cruel Gardenia ia available again as a duty-free set! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knows!!! Yippeeee!!! I put that in my other post. :))

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty sure I know what this giveaway is, omg!

    Also, LOL funny lady. I quite like your collection. I did a highlighter collection post not too long ago, too. I love the RBR ones A LOT <3

    Carina x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for pretty highlighter, right? :) RBR ones are amazing. I want to try their powder highlighters and bronzers, but then... seeing my collection, I already have TOO many. :(

      Delete
  3. I'm a faker too! There I say it. I'm obsessed with pretty highlighters. I have several secrets. Cream: Edward Bess All Over Seduction in Sunlight and Afterglow. I must have both! Powder: Dior Amber Diamond and Rose Diamond. I must have both too! Liquid: either Becca Opal or Chanel Sun kissed. I can't decide which is the must-have :D Like you, I do cheekbones, bridge of nose, cupid bow. But I never skip a highlighter. My makeup isn't done until I put my glow complexion on :D. What a fun post. Now that you mention Guerlain Gardenia, I have Laura Mercier Rose Rendevouz. I need to use it again. hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! I really really wanted the old round Edward Bess in Sunlight. I'm sad. I used to have two bottles of the Chanel. One bottle dropped on the floor by my then-toddler daughter. (there was some crying) And then recently I got rid of my replacement bottle because it was so similar to the RBR Sea of Showers.
      I remember seeing lots of pictures of Rose Rendezvous and Cruel Gardenia. Yes! Break out the LM! More SHIMMER for EVERYONE!

      Delete
  4. Yay! I have J5521 coming in the mail. I'm a faker all the way.. I found Cruel Gardenia a tad too shimmery/shimmer can transfer off, so I normally use something like Burberry Sheer Glow. I'm not sure how RBR compared to Burberry, I must check those since I heard so many good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J5521 is pretty nice. I like the J Series. They are a nice alternative to the Tom Fords even though things are not dupes.
      Faker, too? :) Buberry Sheer Glow is a much lower shimmer product. RBR is super fine shimmer, though. You can mix into foundation for a very soft glow effect if you use a tiny bit, but then you can get the option of highlighting more intensely if you like. They are really really nice.

      Delete
    2. Do you have Becca Pearl SSP? If so, how does it compare to RBR? Thanks!

      Delete
    3. Hi Claire,
      Unfotunately never trued Becca SSPs. I've heard they are wonderful though. :)

      Delete
  5. I love a bit of fakery! The RBR one's look lovely! we never got cruel gardenia here (in fact our Guerlain counter seems to have not received any new goodies for months).
    I recently acquired Kevin Aucoin bronzing veil in tropical days - really my favourite powder bronzer at the moment!
    Your swatches have really managed to capture the delicate nature of these beautiful products- Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. today I've been recommended a lot of KA (bronzing and highlightin')!! Thank you for your lovely compliment!

      Delete
  6. Omg, that cruel cruel gardenia! I am willing to pay someone else's arm and leg for it. ;)
    Lovely post. And no thanks for these new lemmings, lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd totally pay someone else's arm and leg for lots of things! ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh, the Hakuhodo J5521 looks like a dream to use. *ahhhh*
    My go-to highlighter is MAC Too Chic beauty powder from the Iris Apfel collection. It's very subtle, and utterly gorgeous.

    Out of your collection, I think I most like the RMS and Oromovicza highlighters.
    Speaking of Edward Bess... I wish he didn't change the packaging on his bronzers. I've been interested in Daydream in the round packaging ever since I first heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On second thought, I like all of your highlighters.
      Ahh... highlighting...

      Delete
    2. I really wanted the EB round things, too. >:( sad.

      Delete
  8. fake it till you make it boo !
    I love the RBR highlighters ! I need to wear sea of tranquility out more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice I can't find Sea of Clouds anywhere! Have you tried this one? Too pale for me, but it might be lovely on your pale prettiness. :D

      Delete
  9. High five to fakers everywhere!!! :P haha

    There is nothing like a gorgeous highlighter--I honestly can't get enough of 'em, though I find that I can't where them as often as I'd like because my skin is just so gosh darn oily! I may look perfectly highlighted and glowy but within about a half an hour, EVERYTHING just shines and there's no point :/ Ah well, still doesn't stop me from trying and collecting. LOVE THEM!! And you have a lovely collection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a LOT of natural glow. I hear ya! I have all the beautiful LE highlighters that come out. I try to refrain from buying them because first, I have so many already (this is my stash post big purge), and second, I glow NATURALLY! :D

      Delete
  10. OMG from all the highlighters you have shown, I must say that Cruel Gardenia is really the winner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i want that brush. hmm. must investigate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that you said that you naturally glow, I have the same opinion, we always glow =D
    But I love different kinds of highlighter for enhancer this lol
    On day by day I prefer the naturally ones like some eyeshadows color, the eclat miracle, and some days I use the more heavy ones like silver dusk, or make a sandwich of highlighters lol

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...