Friday, May 3, 2013

Thank You and See You Later

This isn't actually a swan song.  It's a thank you.  It's a big thank you to each of you for spending time with me and allowing me to indulge in one of my favorite things: beautiful makeup!  Having this blog has allowed me to experience camaraderie with other fellow makeup lovers and it's been so much fun.  I wish it could go on for longer, but the day has come.  I hope this doesn't come as a surprise if you are a loyal reader to Wondegondigo.
Time for the goat to take a bow
What the hell, how about a cute pig from the Central Park Zoo?
What an incredible ego-boosting and validating experience to feel that I have an audience.  I mean seriously, in real life, people want to know why I have another shopping bag or another box coming in with yet more makeup.  But on the blog, everyone wants to know when I will post about it and can it be soon.  And you guys comment!  It's like an incredible positive feedback loop!  I feel like a rat in an laboratory experiment zapping myself with positive reinforcement and feeling the need to post even more!

In the beginning, I was so excited to see 10 page views, 20 page views, until I realized Blogger was recording me obsessively clicking on my own blog.  I changed that setting and was really sad to see the views drop to single digits.  (ha!  how embarrassing!)  But then people found me and lovely bloggers put me on their blog rolls.  Today, Wondegondigo will every so often break over 1000 page views daily and to date we have close to 1,500 comments on the blog in just about seven months.  (I swear, it's not me clicking a 1000 times on my own posts!)  Of course, it's tiny for established bloggers when put into perspective, but considering how small this blog is, it is really and truly exciting.
My alter ego thanks you
I need to confess that I actually set up my blog so I can get rid of some less-loved makeup and to streamline.  Sorry!  But it's one of the reasons for setting this blog up.  Swapping isn't really so alluring to me, because you get more makeup IN and not just OUT.  Thanks for shopping my blog sales and helping me clear up and streamline and allowing me to make some big splurges with the funds.  I've met many wonderful people through those two sales.  I'm so grateful!

Another reason for setting up this blog is to explore and ruminate on what I like and don't like.  It's been an invaluable exercise.  I've learned so much and also got an opportunity to write creatively and analytically.  I was an English major in school, but professionally I write in bullet points (yuck).  This has been edifying and fun.  I learned just how much I like STUFF, and how I have weird tendencies, but at least now I know what they are and be on guard so I don't buy the same things over and over again.  And I will go in with my eyes wide open especially when I get sucked into the allure of certain luxury brands.

Why am I stopping?  Frankly, I've run out of stuff to say and stuff to show.  A few weeks ago, I posted my stash pictures and by now, I think I've posted about pretty much all of them.  I definitely don't want to bore you with pictures of my spoolie brushes.  :)  Unless you really want an in-depth brush post on what I use to brush my eyebrows.  Hee hee.

In order to sustain a blog like this is to be buying new things constantly.  Or at least be bringing in new things.  As you can tell, I'm too tiny to be awash in PR samples and don't want to spend even more money becoming even more of the consumer than I already am.  And believe me, I am a big consumer.  I also like to be profilic and post often and whew!  I just don't think I can spare that time in my life to do the blog justice.

I'm sure that other bloggers have mentioned how much work running a blog is.  Holy cow.  It really is a mountainous amount of work.  It gets in the way of my life, which doesn't always revolve around being on the computer to write draft posts, taking pictures each weekend morning while praying for bright sun, and spending time thinking about new things to write.  I loved it though, and sad it doesn't fit in my life with all of regular in-real-life life that needs the tending to and loving.
My favorite things (but not that dude on the right.  i don't know who that is)
I will leave myself an opening.  If I buy something lovely, I will come back and post.  If my life changes and gives me some more free time, I will be back.

I am now going back to my civilian life. Bloggers!  I look forward to enjoying your blog as your most loyal reader.  And my lovely readers, let's hang out on the internet and see each other on our favorite blogs, forums and on Twitter.
Happy days.  Enjoy some cake
Thank you.  Thank you for making this so fun.  Take care, and see you later.



Administrative notes:
1) Blog will be up for anyone wanting to read it
2) Sorry, turning on some moderation in the near future to the comments so it doesn't get overrun with spam.
3) Maybe there will be more blog sales?

59 comments :

  1. Oh, my gosh! I am saddened by this news (it was unexpected for me), but I completely understand. It's basically why I usually fall off the wagon with my own blog (I mean, really, who wants to see the same FOTD I do every day?).

    Thank you for providing lovely content for me to read! I never participated in any blog sales of yours, but you have indeed added quite a few things on my wishlist. :)

    Much love and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! I want to see your beautiful FOTD EVERY DAY! You have wonderful skill and I love your taste in makeup. :-) I shall go camp out on your blog now.

      Delete
  2. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! :*( I have enjoyed your blog so much, dear Belly, and am SO sad to see it go. It always seems daunting/impossible, as a blogger, to make your blog stand out in a sea of other beauty blogs but really, you have done an amazing job! I can always tell who really is quite passionate about beauty and are blogging just for the joy of sharing a passion and being able to connect with other like-minded people and I feel that you are truly one of those people. Thank you so much for giving us so many beautiful posts and I hope you do decided to blog every once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely Becca! I loved meeting you through blogging! You said such kind thing, I don't even know what to say. :-**

      I'm not going anywhere far. I shall drool over your GA Face Palette pictures along with all the rest of your readers now.

      Delete
  3. I am quite new to your blog - started reading this very recently - and it is really sad to see you stop. Being a blogger myself, I can definitely understand and relate to almost every word you have typed in this post, and I respect your decision to take a step back. Your blog will always be on my feedreader, and I will definitely keep an eye out for whenever you have something to share :)

    Also, thank you for deciding to keep your blog open and accessible as a truly fabulous resource!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rads, I am a HUGGGGGE (and even more HUGE) fan of your blog. I am so happy to know you were reading mine, too. That makes me so happy.

      Delete
  4. Argh, I'm so sad, but I completely understand. I hope maybe you'll consider blogging about things other than makeup! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I briefly considered fashion, but then even though I work in the fashion industry, my preferred outfit is the Lands End comfy pants. There are only so many colors offered in the one I like to justify too many posts. ;-)

      Delete
  5. It's been fun reading your posts. You're a funny and engaging woman. All my best wishes go with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, Thank you so much. I've really enjoyed your in-depth and thoughtful comments and hope we can chat else where, too!! I love fellow makeup lovers!

      Delete
  6. Oooooh, my BELLY!!! I totally understand, but am so sad to see you go. I'll be eagerly on the lookout for any random post you might have. I'm sincerely honored to have met you, and think you are the bees knees!!! Thank you for introducing me to Suqqu and so many other lovely things. Mostly...thank you for your friendship!!! Love you to bits, Mama Belly!!!!! xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know where to find you and you know where to find me! :) I LOVED meeting you via Helen's blog and so thankful for our friendship. I shall continue my silly bantering on twitter with you.

      Delete
  7. ::hugs:: I want to say thank you for every word you have written. Thank you for all time and energy you dedicated to this. And if you ever start writing about something else, let me know because I am interested in your words. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *SQUISH AND HUGS* Thanks so much, my dear N. It'll be like I never left because I shall be at the other place. I'll try to stay on topic there. :-))

      Delete
  8. But... I don't want you to go :(. I have loved reading your blog, but I do sympathise with not wanting it to take over your life & lead you to spend even more than you already would -- this is largely why I haven't posted on mine for months. I would be happy with just the odd post from you when something particularly lovely strikes you so I hope to keep reading as and when they pop up :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for having read my little excursion. You know how much I enjoy yours very much. Thanks also for understanding me. :-) I quit the blog with no small amount of regret.

      Delete
  9. I don't want you to go either :(
    I love your blog, you reviews are so honest and tell me everything I need to know, I do understand what you are saying though, as there is a lot of work involved and the need to keep spending and I often think about stopping as well.
    I wish you all the best and I am holding out hope they you will come back to us when the time is right for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your kind wishes and understanding, Replica. I really appreciate the opportunity I had to show all my lovely things. I've had my little moment and boy, am I pooped!
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. Dear Belly - I will miss you and your blog! Hope to chat to you on twitter and keep in contact- smooch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On twitter, same as it ever was! *smooch*

      Delete
  11. OH MY. I am so sad! You were a new find (for me) and I truly loved your posts and your writing style. Hopefully, when inspiration strikes—and even without having to spend—you can think of other things to post here. We will definitely miss you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO very much Carina! I look forward to hanging out on your blog and enjoying all your lovely twitter posts and pics. More yummy food please!

      Delete
  12. NO, I refuse to believe it! I need you in my life woman! I love reading your posts and your unique outlook on everything! <3333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need you MOAR in my life and your gorgeous blog! <33 I'll be seeing you over there, as is the norm. :)

      Delete
  13. I am very sad to see you sign off but I do completely understand your reasons. I know I'll be keeping up with your news on Twitter. Have fun and enjoy that yummy cake! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MB, thanks for being the very first to put me on your blogroll. You have no idea how that gave me the biggest thrill makeup-wise. I'm already enjoying my weekend and always eating some cake. :-) xoxo

      Delete
  14. I'm gutted ur going :( I love reading ur posts!!! I hope you change ur mind. Don't leave twitter xxx Jen xxx

    Daisyrosebeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall see you on Twitter, Jen! :-))

      Delete
  15. Enjoyed reading this as my first foray into your blog - sorry to see you wont be updating - I will have to read through your archives :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will miss you, but I understand completely. <3 <3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herro, my Emi! Thank you for all your lovely advice and your friendship. :)

      Delete
  17. I understand and wish you all the best. It's been such a treat to read your blog, bellsy. Your warmth and humor come through in each entry. See you around, dearie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss Pixie, You forgot to mention my good looks and how that comes through with every post.

      Delete
  18. I knew this was coming, but that doesn't mean that I have to like it!! Of course, I completely understand. Running a blog does take a tremendous amount of time. You aren't getting rid of me though!!!!!!!!! I will really miss your posts though! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire your dedication and professionalism on the blog! You are one incredible blogger, Helen. :) I shall see you over on lolassecretbeautyblog soon.
      xoxo

      Delete
  19. You did an amazing job on your blog and it's so lovely to read. It will still be an amazing resource for me (and I'm sure for others as well) because you have all the things I want >:D Will miss your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i'm a new reader of yours and am sad to hear this! I hope you do feel inspired later to write again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenni! It's so lovely to read your kind words.

      Delete
  21. You are a class act, bells :*
    I am going to cheekily hope that you get the bloggy itch at some point in the future :) But I totally understand not wanting to sacrifice either the quality of your rare free time or the consistently wonderful quality of the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was secretly worried you'd call me Goat Lady, but you've held back. I admire you even more now than I ever did before 5 minutes ago today. Tis all true.

      Delete
  22. I don't want you to stop writing, but deep down in my heart I understand your decision. Shame you're leaving when I'm sort of getting back to "blogging" too. I hope you will decide to write soon, it doesn't have to be makeup:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Maybe it will be an extended break. At least until the kids go off to college.

      Delete
  23. Hi Bellyhead,
    I will miss you, but I understand. Thank you for all your postings. I love your honesty & humor. Recently I've been trying to streamline my stash as well & just stick to what I really love. Been good with narrowing my eyeshadows (only 6 Burberry & 2 RBR, 1 LM), blushes (down to 5), lipsticks (8, but that will be increasing thanks to Burberry Fall'13), but for some awful reason I have a very sick lipgloss addiction that I am trying to get under control-I somehow get entranced by shiny things & can't resist! My last biggest makeup splurge were a few TF brushes all thanks to your reviews; by the way I did try the BeautyBlender solid soap on my TF cream foundation brush & it worked great! Thank you so much for telling me about it ;)
    From your writing I can tell your kids are lucky to have a really cool mom & from your pics on twitter, a beautiful one too! Take care Bellyhead <3
    Xoxox Naomi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi,
      I'm so PSYCHED to hear that the BB solid soap worked so well! WHEEE! :) Thanks for your sweet comment.

      Delete
  24. Sad to see you go but I totally understand. Kudos to you for acknowledging that you have more important things to do with your time. Blogging is an all consuming "hobby" and it takes it's toll. Hopefully you will stay active in the community and post once and a while! All the best! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christa,
      When I see a blog like yours and Helen's my mind simply boggles at how much work and quality you put into them. It's such a dedication. I kind of didn't have that, unfortunately! It was a really fun hobby though. I will miss it. Thanks for your best wishes! <33

      Delete
  25. I'm going to miss your posts so much :/ *wipes away tear* I totally understand your decision though (but I hope you feel inspired to blog again one day) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! *tenderly wipes your eyeball with my sleeve* Thank you so much.

      Delete
  26. OH CRAP! I just found your blog recently and I love it, so sorry to see you go. Thank you for your great reviews and info. Best of luck, enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete
  27. <3 I knew this day would come, just hoped it wouldn't be so soon :(

    OH WELL. I will see you around elsewhere. I am planning an Addiction haul with those new quads. Or maybe I will talk myself down to one quad. And a THREE liner. Or a few THREE liners. (Why don't I have your self-control?!)

    And why am I making a comment that's supposed to be about you into a comment about me?! You are an awesome blogger and I hope you DO put up a few more posts at your own pace.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Aww, I'm sad to hear you're leaving the blog behind, but at the same time, I completely understand. I've debated a lot of the points you mentioned myself, thinking if it's really worth buying products for the sake of reviewing - so I totally get it.

    Hope we'll still see you around! Best of luck in your life! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really enjoy reading your blog because of your honesty and your wicked sense of humour. Will certainly miss you but totally understand the need to focus on life's other priorities. All the best and hope you pop by now and then! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh honey! I felt a bit sad reading this. It is so great to know you, you are so sweet and I really loved your blog posts a lot! I was hooked the first time I stumbled upon your blog ^^. I really hope we stay in touch via twitter and it would be fun to see a blog post every now and then if you feel like it ;). I do understand the reason why you are quitting for now, I think we all be there at some point. Thanks for all the lovely posts and don't be a stranger! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have been so off the blogging radar that I literally just saw this. I'm so sorry to see you go, but as a tiny blogger also, I completely understand what kind of toll this can take. That said, I'm very happy that you're leaving your blog up (who else would I turn to for Tom Ford advice??), and I look forward to our Twitter conversations =) All the best to you, my dear Belly!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh no, I'm so sad to read this :( I totally understand your decision. Last year, I spent 2 months pondering on whether to terminate my blog. Since then I've been keeping my blog as a hobby and open too. All the best to you and I hope to see you around (a lot I mean:D). x

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've really enjoyed your blog and the EB South of France palette I bought from one of your blogsales. Enjoy your new found freedom! Hope to see you around the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Like several others, I just discovered your blog! But I completely understand your decision. Lately, due primarily to work commitments, I only seem to be able to post once a week if I'm lucky. We're all pleased that you've left yourself an opening - we'll see you on the Bloglovin' feed if and when you do post. We'll explore your old posts until then.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...