Monday, April 8, 2013

Tom Ford Eye Color Quad in Cognac Sable

I think this palette has a split personality.  In the evening, she puts on her glitter shade and parties with all the party animals in town.  During the day, she puts on her neutral eye and horn-rimmed glasses and goes about her day.  She's sipping tea, no sugar and no lemon, because she is really no nonsense kind of a gal.  I'm just saying, when she puts on her glitter top coat, she goes NUTS!

Tom Ford is known for glittery shimmery eye shadow palettes.  I currently also own Enchanted and Burnished Amber.  Neither palette is for the shy as either the color + shimmer combination or the full-on glitter effect is very strong.  The force is strong with this brand, Luke.  In that sense, Cognac Sable also has the force and it is strong in this one as well. 

First let me show you that glitter shade in the quad.  It is an intensely coppery shimmer.  It works well patted on with your finger, as opposed to swabbed and brushed on.
 It really is not about adding color, it's all about adding intense glitter and texture to finish off a look.
As you can see the base color is pretty negligible, but the glitter effect is intense.
I'm not shy
Here are the rest of the shades, which are shimmery, but in toned down neutral shades that really comes together to form an elegant and can I say understated look.  There is a pale, sandy beige that has a tonal golden shimmer.   It then also contains a bronzy brown, again with warm golden shimmers and then also a deep, cooler brown with pale silvery cool shimmer.
I took pictures outside for the first time. What do you think?  It was COLD!


As I mentioned in my post on Burnished Amber, these eye shadows are certainly smooth, but has a dry feel.  I suppose it would be a matter of preference on how far into the buttery spectrum you like your shadows.  If Rouge Bunny Rouge rates a 5 on that scale (1 being dry as sand, and 5 being uber creamy), then these Tom Fords would be about a 2.5 in my estimation.  Despite the amount of shimmer and glitter in this quad, I don't experience fallout and I find it lasts very well.

This palette has some nice versatility, being able bring on that party-girl glittery and smoky look OR can also build up a lovely and flattering neutral look if the glitter coat is omitted.  Of course, you can build anything in between.  The pigmentation is dense with Cognac Sable and looks incredibly rich on my eyes.

I tool these pictures outside, which is the first time for the blog.  What do you think?  It was brrrrrr cold.

Love it and pleased to own it, but I'm sure I can dupe this with less expensive brands and colors out there.  Any similar quads you can think of?

By the way, by now, I've shown every Tom Ford makeup item I own and this checks off an item on the Work List.

26 comments :

  1. I think your swatches rock! Now the colors are really showing up very nicely, I also loved the glitter shot, it is not easy to show it on camera. Cognac Sable was one of the quads I was most excited with and it is my second after burnished amber but it never stole my heart. Maybe I have to experience a bit more with this one. How do you wear it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! All my glitter shots are accidental. I have no skills with that. I love this one, but not Burnished Amber. Isn't it funny how our preferences are so different? I thinking that the reddened tones must contrast and be spectacular with your eyes.
      http://www.charlottetilbury.com/blog/how-to/copper-smokey-eye-laura-bailey/
      This is the tutorial I used to to an intense smokey eyes for a night out. She seems to use quite a bit of TF in her videos so check it out.

      Delete
  2. I really like this quad and the shimmer ( with the right base, lol). I take my swatch pics outside as well and sometimes it is so cold, that I get those little goose bumps haha. I also have burnished amber (thank's to karima, I never would have picked up this quad). / Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire!
      Yes, totally the right base is needed for the shimmer! :) I'm not sure I can commit to the outside at this point in my life. I require a move to a warmer climate.

      Delete
  3. I love the outside pics, the colours look very real! The copper shade is so pretty, great to spice things up! Good to know about the drier texture tho, I wasn't aware of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teri! Thank you so much for your sweet compliment on my rudimentary pictures. The copper is really stunning in person and on the eyes. Emerald Lust and Enchanted from last Fall are much smoother and softer in texture than these old ones. Definitely want to touch them if you can if you plan on springing for one. :)

      Delete
  4. This is very very pretty!! When I saw the pan shot I thought it was nice, but when I saw your swatches- I thought this is GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for more cravings! My wallet would like a word with you though! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TF cravings are painful! I'm sorry. Actually NO. I did see your post on that beautiful Medusa. I'm not sorry at all!

      Delete
  5. mmmm! very wearable shades! thanks for showing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Glad to share. This is one of my favorites!

      Delete
  6. Belly- Tom Ford can do no wrong in my eyes- I love this palette- I always shied away from ginger shades- but this really is beautiful to the MAX!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you love it, too! This is a beautiful palette!!

      Delete
  7. I love your review of this! Also, your swatches are fantastic. I need to keep reminding myself that you have a warmer skintone than I do and that the swatches will look very different on me.

    Anyway, I am never going to buy a TF$ quad because the only time I'm spending that much money is on Suqqu. (I have to say no somewhere! And I think my Suqqu actually cost less.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adele,
      Have you seen the Charlotte Tilbury video (I put it in a comment to Sara). The woman had pretty neutral (& much paler than me) skin but with her green eyes, it looked incredible! On me, it's all sultry all around, with no contrast, which I think is even more beautiful.

      I totally see your point when you do the TF versus Suqqu comparison. You really got to love Tom Ford as a brand and as a product to spring for it. ;-)

      Delete
    2. I did see it, and I liked the look a lot! My problem is that being so fair and so cool-toned, I can see this pulling orange on me, which is not what I'm looking for.

      Yes, exactly :)

      Delete
    3. Ah Adele! You're so discerning. :-) I spend like a drunk sailor most of the time.

      Delete
  8. Your swatches look a lot nicer than what I was expecting going by how it looks in the pan, I'm still holding out for them to release new quads in the fall formula, but this is tempting ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, more of that yummy fall formula will be wonderful!

      Delete
  9. Glitter! Love the outside pics. At least it's getting warmer now, eh? :) I love the color scheme but price tag makes me hesitant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for warmer weather! I was desparing the Spring would NEVER show! :P

      These are exxxxxpensive. I think I saw per oz comparisons to other brands that showed Tom Ford quads are kind of reasonable. But... eh! Whatever it takes to justify a buy!

      Delete
  10. I love, love, love the colours in this quad, I'm so tempted! I remember when RAEviewer mentioned it, but I wasn't that into it -- your swatches are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like this one! Even though the Enchanted formula is nicer, Cognac Sable is just so sultry on. I think you would like it a lot, too.

      Delete
  11. I have a love hate relationship with my cognag sable. I love the glitters and the shade, but somehow the texture is quite dry. I personally love a buttery eyeshadows like Burberry but Tom Ford's gorgeous packaging makes me close one of my eye :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you get to play with Tom Ford makeup in person now? I feel really lucky that I get to play with everything multiple times before getting things.

      I think I would be really disappointed if I got this in the mail not expecting how *not* buttery these palettes are! Still blends well and is intense, so I really enjoy Cognac Sable.

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...