Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Dolce & Gabbana Luminous Cheek Color in Sole

I'm going to admit that perpetual makeup desire maker Kate the Driveller completely made me fall head over heels for this blush from Dolce & Gabbana.  The case is a lightweight gold-toned plastic and it a veritable finger print magnet.  Normally, that doesn't bug me.  Out of the goodness of my heart and respect for the blog, I wiped the top of my case on the front of my robe.  There, all shiny.  Before I get all mom-like and use my spittle to wipe something off your face, let's get on with the rest of the post. 
There is a small useless brush included in the case.  I say useless because though I kind of like dinky brushes included in these cases for touch ups (I really like the Burberry one, as an example), I think Sole deserves different.  Using a dinky scratchy brush on a color as bright and pigmented as Sole is asking for a red war stripe on your cheeks.  No sirree Bob!  I don't want that.  As a matter of fact, I used my most delicate and fluffy Suqqu Cheek Brush yesterday and still achieved Clown Face.  Let's look at the potent blush.

It is a really bright and warm red with orange leaning tendencies.  On my warm skin, and applied with a delicate touch, Sole is incredibly flattering.
 
Here are some natural light swatches to show how it looks on my skin.  The crazy stripe is with my finger and the blended swatch is with my Suqqu Cheek Brush.  Just a note on application.  If I use my Suqqu Cheek brush, I make sure to blot most of the color off on a clean tissue before dabbing very lightly on my face.  Even though the Suqqu brush is made out of squirrel hair and does an incredible job with natural and light application, I actually find it's not the very best to apply with.  I am more likely to use my fan brush to apply to ensure the lightest, more natural application.  This is because I have clown face tendencies and a fan brush is a good insurance against such a calamity.
The bright orange red is very unique among my blushes and well merits a home in it.  I had swatched Nars Exhibit A alongside Sole and found the colors very similar in the horrible indoor lighting of the store.  I think under bright natural light, you will see some subtle differences but for me, Sole closes the door on all other bright orange reds. 

The finish is without any shimmer, but not so flat on my skin.  While unique and worthy in my collection of blushes Dolce & Gabbana is not my favorite formula.  Pigmentation and smoothness are excellent, but it feels very hard and dry to me.  I'm surprised the color picks up so well on the brush since it feels so hard to me.
 
Are you a fan of crazy bright blushes?  Which ones are your favorite and what is your weapon of choice for application?

10 comments :

  1. I don't know what made me laugh more...that you said you wiped the front of the compact for us, or that you wiped it on your robe!!!!! LOLOL!!! It's quite a visual and one I'm very familiar with bc I do it toooooo!!

    I have so much redness that is brought out by cheek product that the look of this orange kind of scares me. Not because it's not beautiful, but bc...well...I can see it now...blotch city. Or maybe not. Deserves a swatch I think!! What other makeup do you pair it with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Beauty Bloggers of the world, WIPE! :)) My facial redness is more blue-toned, and this one doesn't seem to make my redness more prominent. I think on Monday, I wore it with a cream foundation (a pretty high coverage one) to hide most redness on my face. I went a little nuts yesterday and looked like Christmas. I did a Suqqu Kokedama (green) on the eyes and Tom Ford lip shine in Willful on the lips. Red & Green. I looked crazy.

      Delete
  2. I love love love this color! I should really use it more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hola Martha! This color is spectacular. I'm really happy to have this one, too.

      Delete
  3. Yay yay for bright blushes!!! I love that they're more versatile. If only DG formula was softer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the other blushes have a softer feel?

      Delete
  4. this was in my cart for the sephora sale but I decided to be good and only get the EB
    so prettyy !! want ! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is a lovely color. If you have Nars Ex A, you can probably walk on by, though. :)

      Delete
  5. It's so pretty! And I love that first photo with the reflection of the trees.

    Also, what an odd spam comment above mine - asking permission to steal your stuff for an unrelated website? Weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did that SPAM get through?! So weird. Don't they know that my freelance fee is one beeellion meeeellion dollars?

      :)

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...