Saturday, March 16, 2013

Tom Ford Lip Brush

I don't think this brush post is going to make you run out right now and I can't believe I actually bought this thing, except I guess it's nice?  I mean it.  It's very nice.  And it certainly works well.
You are good enough
When I was looking at this at the counter, I asked the SA if this came with a little cap.  After all, a dark lipstick like Black Orchid requires reapplication during the day and it would be nice to carry this around.  No, there is no cap for it.  I bet you I'm misconstruing what I heard but I recall being told that Mr. Ford really embraces the image of a woman at her dressing table going through the beauty ritual of applying her lipstick, with a brush, at her table.  Um, Mr. Ford, sometimes this Belly woman eats a greasy bacon cheese burger, and Black Orchid fades and when she reapplies it, it would be nice to use a brush.



Maybe also, you should buy another brush if you apply your morning makeup in your bathroom with the bad fluorescent lighting because then you're not worthy of this brush.  You can't take this brush outside of the house without smearing the inside of your purse with lipstick, but it's a nice brush.

It has the same beautiful iridescent brown handle as the rest of the brushes, and has a white brush head. I'm assuming it's synthetic because it has a super white color and the bristles are smooth and without cuticle.  Some nice features of this brush is that the brush head is relatively firm and the shape is a squared off, flat tip.  This makes it handy to apply a very precise, clean line to your lips.

Profile: I'm a skinny one
White brush hairs for lipstick?!  Yes, it kind of sounds impractical to me to, but I find that it's been easy to keep clean and get back to its pristine whiteness with my normal brush soap.  (I use the Becca brush soap, which is sadly, tragically now discontinued)

A quick comparison to the other lip brushes I own: the Bobbi Brown lip brush and the Shu Uemura portable kolinsky lip brush.
  • Bobbi Brown is an excellent all around brush.  The flat brush has a pointed tip which is great at getting into the corner of the mouth.  I've been using it more to point conceal my face instead of using it as a lip brush these days.
  • Shu Uemura Portable Kolinsky is a pretty good brush.  The shape of the brush head is similar to the Bobbi Brown and is able to get precise...ish.  Kolinsky is super luxurious and all that, but with the long length of the hairs, the head is a little floppy and not as precise as the BB or the Tom Ford.  It comes in two parts and the long cap becomes the handle.  It's really is portable!

 

I guess it will come down to your personal preference on brush head shape and portability.  And also how much you want your lip brush to match the rest of your Tom Ford Brush hoard.

Do you use a lip brush when you apply your lipstick or are you a straight out of the bullet kind of a gal?

9 comments :

  1. I don't usually use a lip brush. Lately I've been supremely lazy and have been applying straight from the bullet and using concealer to clean up the edges. I can't decide if I'm making more work for myself by doing that LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it get hard with a concealer? :) I often just smear right from the bullet but when I feel so inclined, I sometimes use a brush.

      Delete
    2. Mmm...I think it depends. If you stick with a waxy/creamy formula, it's not so bad. Anything liquid would be kind of hideous though.

      Delete
  2. I love using lipbrushes for opaque lipsticks and liquid lipsticks, it makes things so much easier! ^^ I'm intrigued by the squared off tip, I can see how it can really create nice crisp lines, must investigate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brushes make everything so precise looking!! :D Definitely check it out. And the rest of TF brushes are pretty nice, too.

      Delete
  3. You are so funny! The image of ". . . this belly woman eat(ing) a greasy bacon cheeseburger . . ." just made my day. That's what I call a real test of a lipstick's longevity; not a few dainty sips of tea! LOL

    Although I swipe and go when using a sheer lipstick or gloss, whenever I use "real" lipstick, I always apply it with a brush. My aging lips have lost volume which makes for lip lines and the vermillion border is not as crisp as it used to be. (See what you younger women have to look forward to? :-P ) Using a brush makes all the difference in creating a smooth coat of color that lasts longer and wears off more evenly. A brush was de rigueur when I first started wearing lipstick in the late fifties and it's a habit I've never shaken.

    Even though I don't mind the idea of having a brush that has to stay at home, I do still like a cap. It's cleaner and tidier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing that getting older does, eh? I see that my cheekbones are getting much more prominent as fat decreases in my face. If I got any more gaunt looking, I would look terrible. What a wonderful excuse to stay pleasantly plump in the tush. Real life makeup test is sweating and eating greasy food, so I need all my fancy things to perform and KEEP UP! :)

      I shall have to make do with a kolinsky sable brush when I am out and about. Yes, poor poor me!

      Delete
  4. I've been using lip brushes more often lately - I have a Haku which is lovely, but I honestly think I prefer ELF's $1 concealer brushes because they're very short and stiff, so it's easier for me to be precise. Plus I can afford to have six of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your exact point is so RIGHT! I really don't need a kolinsky or a TF! I need a nice firm brush with a cover and it doesn't need to be swanky! :))) ELF $1 Concealer Brush FOR.THE.EPIC.WIN!!!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...