Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Guerlain Écrin 6 Couleurs - Rue de Passy

I sure do love beautiful packages.  I'm not sure how much of what we pay for luxury product goes into the fancy packaging.  I'm thinking a hefty portion goes into the intricate package of Guerlain's Écrin 6 Couleurs eye shadow palettes.
It really is a work of art with a substantial gleaming silver case that've been cut into a frilly filigree accented buy the Guerlain Bee.  It's a lovely attention to detail.

An inner thick plastic lid protects the inside as well as reveal a large mirror underneath the flap.
The shades are a meditation of brown neutrals with a sooty black liner shade for bringing definition.  A pale cool pink provides the frosty dimension and icy counterpoint.
Each shade is smooth and easy to apply.  The pigmentation varies by shade.  The three pale shades around the perimeter of the palette, the light matte beigey nude on top, the cool light matte brown on the left, and the deeper frostier brown on the bottom goes with the best pigmentation and evenness.  These are lovely mattes and when I remember I have them, they are useful shades to coordinate with other eyeshadows I own.  The deep blackened brown has an interesting plum shimmer which I couldn't capture in the swatch, but that can be seen in the palette picture.  The level of pigmentation was mediocre and applied a bit patchy.   The black liner shade is a nice sooty black and can also be applied moistened for more intensity.  My favorite is the tiny little square of frosty cool pink.  The demure and fancy Guerlain emblem that was imprinted on that square has been worn away with use.
Rue de Passy is a very versatile palette that can be use to create very office-friendly neutral look, or create some deep and smoky looks if I concentrate on the darker shades.  The pink is beautiful as a shade to pat lightly over the whole look to kick up the shimmer, or placed as a center lid focal point or as a highlight to the brows or inner corner.

Yep, Rue de Passy is nice and pretty, but I don't have the same warm and fuzzies the way I feel about some other palettes and shades.  I either want buttery creaminess a la Rouge Bunny Rouge, or if I want a drier feel, I want more texture variation or finish complexities of a Suqqu.

How do you feel about Guerlain eye shadow palettes?  Worth it?

14 comments :

  1. Ohhhh pretty neutrals! The cut out on this palette is SO beautiful. I still have yet to own a Guerlain palette -- SACRILEGE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les Fumes for the win!!! I think I like Les Fumes more than this one.

      Delete
  2. I have this one and love the shades specially the gray with red and the highlighter =D is amazing and have so beautiful and discrete glow!!!! I thinks is that I use more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabi!!! The pink in this palette is my absolute favorite. I wish it was much bigger!

      Delete
    2. I understand you totally, me too!!!!
      I use on my friend on her engagement dinner and she loves this too, we create addicts on this shade lol

      Delete
  3. My goodness! This is an oldie---but goodie :-) Since these were originally released, huge advancements in the texture of eyeshadows have been made which might make the original 6 Écrins seem a bit old-fashioned in comparison to many of the rich, buttery smooth textures that are now the norm. That being said, I like Rue de Passy. It is a lovely set of neutrals for my warm, dark green eyes. A couple of years ago, when I had the pleasure of being madeup by Guerlain national artist Chuck Hezekiah, he discussed all the possibilities that this palette offered, both as a stand alone and in conjunction with other shades. It's a beautiful palette. It's just become a bit dated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen! Your words resonate with me!!! I was wondering what made me feel a little less ardent about Rue de Passy today than when I first got it. I remember being enthralled in a major way for a long time. I think you're right about eyeshadow formulas being improved over time and some of these older palettes feel a bit dated. That said. So true, pretty, pretty colors.

      Delete
  4. Ooh my goodness, it's absolutely stunning. I so have a soft spot for Guerlain palettes - they put so much effort into the gorgeous packaging of it. This one looks like one I'd use every day for a neutral, office friendly eye look. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packaging is totally stunning. I think of the palettes I own, this one wins for versatility for sure.

      Delete
  5. I can't let go of my Rue de Sevres but the texture is not good and has prevented me from caving on Passy though I adore the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *think* the 4 pans have a nicer texture.

      Delete
  6. ooooo this is SO pretty. Bummer about the texture. I just added this to my shopping list, then decided to remove it, LOL. I do prefer creamy textures, although i love guerlain's bronzers. do you find it similar in texture to those, if you've tried them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not tried the bronzers from Guerlain. Those are lovely! the 6's are fine, but I think the 4-pans feel a bit nicer. They don't compare though to the real creamy textures from other companies.

      Delete
  7. I never owned the big palettes but I do love their quads. The texture of these are a bit drier idd but somehow they work on me. The price of the big palettes however is a bit scary, lol. The packaging is absolutely pretty but I can't get past the price.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...