Sunday, February 3, 2013

Suqqu Blend Color Eye Shadow in Kakitsubata 1

Taking pictures of Suqqu eye shadow palettes and swatches is an exercise in extreme futility.  I think the pictures you see are going to be passable, but really, it's a bit maddening to take dozens and dozens to pictures to end up with a scant few!  I try to take good pictures for this blog but this is nuts.  I think the most extraordinary thing about Suqqu eye shadows is a delicate balance it conducts: textures, shades and quality.  It's really hard to capture!  Of course, not all are perfect or compelling, but the old discontinued* quads embodies those qualities.  There is that something about Kakitsubata which balances beautifully in all those ways.


Now that I've set up this quad to impossible heights, let's attempt to bring these expectations down a few notches.  This is going to be something you hear from Suqqu critics and some fans, which is that the pigmentation is light that on some skin it will barely show.  I find that to be the case as well.   I showed you Himesango first because those new series of four-pan palettes have a noticeably higher level of pigmentation than these older ones.  I think Kakitsubata is especially light in pigmentation.  So what's the big hoopla about this one?

Kakitsubata is a lovely rendition of the classic blue and brown combination of colors.  The matte base on the lower right is almost invisible on my skin.  As all their bases, it is applied to your lids to even out and provide a smooth matte base for the next layer of shadows.   The dark blue shade is also matte and Suqqu mattes are really special.  They are so lightweight in feel and carries the pigment evenly.  I've not encountered a chalky Suqqu matte shade yet.  The upper left shade and the upper right shades are Suqqu's version of frost, which means they are imbued with delicate shimmer to provide the right texture contrast to the matte shade.  The upper left pale champagne peach is particularly delicate, and on me more of a light catcher than a shade that really shows on my lids.  The coppery brown is a beautiful texture and color counterpoint to the blue.
I took over 50 pictures!  This is all I have left! D:
One of the neater features of Suqqu palettes is that the colors also layer and combine into pleasing shades.  I don't have any passable pictures for you, but you can trust me, er, that layering the shades in different combination adds something new to the eyeball party.  I especially love the blue and coppery brown layered together.

I think when I first used this, I was intensely disappointed in how light and airy everything was.  I mean for that money, can't Suqqu bring it?!  Having used it over the past few months, I'm enjoying it more and appreciating the very sophisticated look this palette produces.  The blue and copper brown can also be intensified in depth using a firmer brush to pick up extra pigment.  Using Suqqu squirrel hair brushes will bring out a much softer look than using a more firmer bristled brush.

I would recommend this particular palette to those seeking that classic Suqqu lightness (color pigmentation and texture both).  If the bolder blues of the newer Konruri fails to delight you, then Kakitsubata may be right up your alley.  For me, I enjoy this palette the longer I use it.

*The quads are still listed on the Suqqu Global website, it is no longer listed in the Japan language online Suqqu shop.

13 comments :

  1. This is pretty! I think my first foray into Suqqu will be Suqqu spring. Boo Ichibankao and their markup :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen Rosy's (all made up/nowhere to go blog) swatches from the counter in Japan? The Spring/Summer eye shadows look incredible! (blog roll on right) I am getting my appetite going reviewing these old ones, but my heart is singing for Spring!

      Delete
    2. Yes! I saw them this morning! I will (probably) be calling Selfridges at the end of the month. Or choking down the marking and ordering online.

      Delete
  2. Hi there, I found your blog through Lipstick Boulevards and enjoy it much! This palette has my favorite color them- blue and copper. I haven't felt the urge to try Suqqu but so very curious how it lives up with praise at that price. I'll probably go with their legendary brushes first, when my beauty ban is lifted :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JoannP!
      Heehee! I see we share some TF love, too. Thanks so much for stopping by. :)
      I can not wait until Spring Summer is released in UK in Suqqu.

      Delete
  3. This is the Suqqu palette that has been on my fantasy makeup wish list since the beginning. Congratulations on having it in your collection, especially now that it has been discontinued. :( Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BooBooNinja!!
      This is quite elegant. I feel lucky to own one. It IS still in stock at Selfridges.com which I made my purchase through SKYPAX.

      Delete
    2. No. I did not just read your comment.
      You are such an enabler!!!

      Delete
  4. What a pretty palette! My heart jumped a while when I see that you're posting Suqqu :p I love their products but it's just soo expensive :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( they are crazy expensive. To get them where they don't sell them is REALLY expensive. makes me sad.

      Delete
  5. Lol at Peekaboo! This is where my lemmings come for the ultimate test. Lol. This is one of the few I've been planning to get but hearing about the pigmentation does concern me. Between Konruri and this one, I do prefer color schemes of this one but I think "getting DC'ed" effect is getting to me. Shall do some more thinking... Glad it's growing on you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. I see you! :)
      I'm not digging the Konruri blues, although, it's not like I've seen them in person to really know. LOL!

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...