Saturday, January 5, 2013

Tom Ford Cream Foundation Brush


Tom Ford makes a cream foundation stick and this is the brush that works with it.  Actually, this brush will work well with any cream type foundation and these days, I use most often with the Shu Uemura Nobara Stick foundation.

Which is funny, because this brush is often compared with the Shu Uemura 18 Goat foundation brush. There actually some notable differences.  Some differences are just aesthetic: the Tom Ford is a much weightier brush, with a substantial handle, but beautifully balanced.  It's just my opinion, but it does look marvelously luxurious, too.

Upon, closer inspection, there are additional differences between the two brushes.  The Tom Ford has a larger brush head, that is also flatter on top.  You can see that the Shu Uemura has a smaller head with a more rounded and precision-friendly top.


The density is different as well, with the Shu Uemura goat hairs being less densely packed than the Tom Ford cream foundation brush.

These differences actually do add up to how each brush performs versus the other.  I find that the Shu Uemura soaks up product more quickly than the denser Tom Ford.  I never use the Shu Uemura with a liquid foundation because of this; it wastes too much product.  The second consequence of the denser Tom Ford brush is that the finish on the skin after applying foundation product is that it does not leave visible brush strokes on the skin.  The flatter top of the Tom Ford brush head also makes it a more dutiful blender.  The pointier head of the Shu Uemura compels me to blend longer to cover the same area and to work away the brush strokes.  One advantage of the Shu Uemura brush head shape is that it does let me work into the crevices of my face easier.

The Tom Ford is a very good foundation brush, but is it that much better than the Shu Uemura?  I mean, kind of.  I mean not really.  And in actually, I use the two interchangeably and when one is dirty, I use the other.  I am just more mindful of extra buffing and blending when I use the Shu Uemura.  If I already had the Shu Uemura 18 Goat, I wouldn't purchase the Tom Ford.  And if I had the Tom Ford, I wouldn't want to go out and purchase the Shu.  If I had to choose?  Then I certainly choose the Tom Ford for it's density and overall performance.

Does anyone have both brushes would like to add to the conversation?  Do you have a favorite brush for cream foundations?  Paddle, fingers, brush, buffer or Beauty Blender?  What are you?
On a related note: are you sick of these Tom Ford brush posts yet?  Keep going or take a break?  If there is a particular one from my collection you'd like to see up sooner rather than later, let me know in the comments or via email.

14 comments :

  1. You are such a naughty brush fanatic-- I LOVE IT!! You really make me want Tom Ford brushes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally AM nuts! XD
      Some are very nice!

      Delete
    2. Oh please, I'm a complete looney tune when it comes to skincare and makeup. It's a good thing that we live on opposite coasts. It would be frightening to imagine the damage that we could do together on a shopping expedition! I will have to study all of your posts before I consider taking the plunge. I have already spent sooooooo much on Hakuhodos that there is no justifiable reason for me to get TF brushes too!! :-)

      Delete
    3. ah! Your beautiful skincare! Yes, good thing we're not on one side of the country. We don't want to lopside beauty sales to only one side of the great land.

      I will admit that I bought a few Hakus just to compare with the TFs! I'm going to try not to do stuff like that any more. Filled me with consumerist remorse!! D:

      Delete
    4. OMG that's hilarious!

      Remorse because you aren't too fond of the Hakus compared to TF?

      Delete
    5. Most Hakus were great actually. It's more that I regret having given the need to buy something just for the blog (which I don't want to do) and then having to buy MORE stuff when mostly I'm happy with what I have (brush wise). I'm depressing myself now. :/

      Delete
    6. I hear you, I do! I think that a balance has to be struck. Once can easily go broke, or at the very least end up in some serious debt shopping for the blog. It's easy to shop your own stash for things to review, but that never curbs the temptation of wanting more pretty shiny baubles to bring back to the nests of bonafide makeup magpies such as ourselves!!!!!!!!! I haven't let myself go to the Hakuhodo website for a while. I already have a ridiculous stash of brushes! :-(

      Delete
  2. I have Royal & Langnickel dupe of these brushes, and mine doesn't looks as dense as these. They both look good but TF one is shaped to perfection :) I'm glad their brush quality lines up with the prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Rachel!
      I'm not sure a pile of gold would be worth TF$$$$$$ prices! D: But both are very fine brushes, indeed. I'm going to check out the R&L! I've not heard of those before.

      Delete
  3. Hello
    Still investigating TF brushes- I typically use the synthetic real technique brushes for my liquid foundation which does work well. Will the goat hair TF suck up to much product and waste?? need your advise.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think liquid foundations will get sucked up totally into the hairs. I works well with cream-type ones, but I typically do not use this brush with liquids. Here is what I do when I do use with liquids (which is what I do for the beauty blender): I apply very lightly all over my face with my fingers haphazardly, and then use the brush to blend. I hope this helps, Jo!

      Delete
    2. Yes it does thanks- is their normal foundation brush which is meant for their traceless foundation meant for liquid foundations and I presume won't suck up foundation?
      Otherwise might just get my brother to get me their blush brush- and get hakuhodu brushes for the eyes at a later stage.

      Delete
    3. I haven't really looked at the regular foundation brush that is paddle shaped, but yes, that is supposed to work with the liquids. Maybe that one is blended with synthetics or all synthetic? I'm not sure.

      The blush brush is excellent! Very dense and amazing blender. If you are working with super pigmented blush, this brush picks up a lot of pigment so be sure to tap off on tissue first. :-)

      Let me know when you buy some! I'd love to know how they work out for you.

      Delete
  4. I just came across this post today, v. nice and informative. This brush reminds me of the real Technique expert face brush that I just discovered, in terms of density, shape, etc. Maybe the RT is a bit bigger in head size, I don't have the TF so I can't compare. I also use the same technique that you describe in using liquid foundation: I dab it first on my face then use brush/beauty blender to blend it out. In general, I like synthetic for foundation b/c I can be quite rough with it. With goat, no matter what I feel I need to be more gentle..

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...