Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Brows Need Work

Even if I have a no makeup day, I will often put on my brows.  Though I have generally shapely eyebrows, it is amazing what a little bit extra definition does to the face.  I love a fuller brow having lived through a bout of over plucking in the 90's.  Yep, it's a lucky thing that despite the relentless self-abuse of my youth, my brows are still there.

I think the toughest part for me is finding a good color match for my eyebrows.  Having deep cool brown (verging on black) hair, many products I've tried made my eyebrows appear like weird floating red things hovering over my face.  I needed a cool enough and dark enough color that would help tint and define, without being so dark that it would appear as if I used a Sharpie marker on them.

Here are my favorite products, on my holy grail list, that I've repurchased and will continue to repurchase.  I have backups in my backup drawer of the Suqqu and K-Palette brow pens!


  •  Shu Uemura Hard Formula Brow Pencil in 02 Seal Brown - I find this pencil to be the easiest to use.  It's an ashy brown that seems to coordinate well with my warmer-toned looks.  The formula is indeed very hard and has a formula that will only color when reacting to the oils on your skin and hair.  So if I use it after I freshly wash my face, nothing shows up no matter how hard I draw on to my brows.  If I'm in the rush, I make sure that some of my AM moisturizer is on my brows as well.  The "saber" shaped point of this pencil is no longer available in the US since Shu Uemura is no longer available in US stores.  I bought mine in Asia.  Wonder if there are trained ex-Shu Uemura SA's with some sharpening skills that are willing to teach me.  If you order on line, you get a normal pencil point which still works fine.  But this particular point is excellent for using the broadside to darken in a larger area while the side narrow part is great for drawing in hairs.
  • K-Palette 1 Day Tattoo Real Lasting Brow Liquid Pen in 02 Brown - is such a gem!  Suqqu pen is more than twice the price of this pen, but the function is quite similar.  This is a warmer brown that still has enough ashiness not too look bizarrely red against my skin.  It has a very fine point that is useful for drawing in teeny little hairs and really good for defining the tail of your brows.  It lasts all day regardless of rain, shine and oiliness!
  • Suqqu Eyebrow Liquid Pen in 01 Moss Green  - This brow pen definitely does have a mossy green tint, but it really works brilliantly on cool dark hair.  It has a very fine point that, like its cheaper alternative, the K-Palette pen, is excellent at drawing fine and excellent hairs on the brows.  Both the K-Palette and Suqqu pens have excellent lasting power and I tend to think the Suqqu pen is more of a natural match to my very cool dark hair.

The Shu Uemura is more diffuse and very easy to apply.  And the pencil is gigantic and will last forever!  The brows pens, with their fine brush tips, draw on thin, natural little hairs.  I suggest using your more delicate pressure because a harder pressure yields a thicker line, which is not very natural looking.  You will look drawn on.

Are you a powder, pen or pencil kind of a person?  Have you tried any of these three products?  What's in your regular rotation for your perfect brows?

7 comments :

  1. Great swatches. I really want to try the Suqqu someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emi! I really liked your Mufe Aqua Brow post recently.
      http://project-swatch.com/mufe-35-taupe-aqua-brow-review-swatches/
      That taupe looks nice and cool, too.

      Delete
  2. I love the Shu brow pencil! The shape is literally noob proof. I've got jet black hair so Stone Grey is perfect for me. All other pencils I've used in the past have either been too brown-red or too black (angry eyes anyone? :p)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee! I love the angry Muppet look with the big dark brows.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for answering my burning question :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye! Important brow issues must be discussed. Here is the blog for it.

      Delete
  4. I had some friends that love shu brown pencil, I never try but I use a Brazilian's brand that I like a lot!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...