Friday, November 30, 2012

Suqqu Cheek Brush

I wrote previously about the Suqqu Face Brush.  Today, the infinitely covetable cheek brush.

Like the face brush, it is another diminutive brush with a tapered brush head.  I believe it is the same hair as the face brush - grey squirrel.  It is incredibly soft and makeup artist Lisa Eldridge has described it as the feel of kitten paws on your cheeks.  It is ethereally soft.  Like the face brush, the hairs are long and with a fair amount of give.  This is an advantage for the cheek brush because it allows for a very even and soft pickup of pigment.  The small brush head places the pigment softly but at the same time in a precise manner.  It is an incredible feat to be so soft but still lay down color so evenly.

I admit this.  I have clown face tendency.  I love pigmented blush and if unchecked, my full clown shines.  The Suqqu cheek brush is the force that stuffs the clown in the closet.  (Remember the clown in Poltergeist?)  I tell you this; it checks the clown.  It hip checks that garish clown.  I use this brush nearly every day.  A small bit of my brain asks the hard question: why do I have other cheek brushes when this is perfect? Such difficult questions.  Let us not linger long there in that dark place.

Some pictures to show how petite this brush is.

Top: Suqqu Cheek Brush;  Bottom: Suqqu Face Brush


Suqqu Cheek Brush nestled in the hand

Top: Suqqu Cheek Brush; Bottom: Edward Bess Luxury Eye Brush
Dinky cheek brush!
The brush head balances between hair density and airiness.  It is not so densely packed that it picks up pigment unevenly or too strongly.  But it still has enough hairs and resistance in the brush head to be able to layer color and be able to blend.  Its softly tapered head also makes it a great multi-purpose brush as well for directional placement of bronzer, loose powders or contour powders.  I find also that the cheek brush has excellent blending prowess, softening up blushes and also seamlessly blending blush and contour products where they meet.




Hand made and impeccably tapered.  Hairs are incredibly glossy and soft.  This is quite possibly, maybe even probably the best brush I have of all the brushes I own.

You'll notice I do not mention what the retail prices are for things I write about.  I do focus on things that I'm mainly drawn to, which is luxury products.  Suqqu is very pricey indeed and in most cases very hard to procure for many of outside a small distribution area.  So is it worth it?  Don't ask me that!  That is a tough question.  If I had to answer, I'd say that brushes are easy things for which to develop irrational affection and I am certainly goggly-eyed and irrational about Suqqu products.  For me, this cheek brush certainly meets my preference for pigmented blush and application effect.  Does that answer the question?

Do you own Suqqu brushes or have your eyes on them?  I'd love to know what you think!

As far as I know, distribution of Suqqu is very limited.  You can purchase on line through several sites including, ichibankao and mihokoshop where prices are significantly marked up.  Imomoko appears to only sell the limited edition cosmetics.   If you are luckily residing in the UK, you can purchase at Selfridges.  You can call Selfridges and order via telephone, but again, beware, the shipping charges were hefty when I'd ordered previously.  It is worth calling and checking to understand their shipping charges.  They will exclude the UK VAT to ship to you internationally.  Selfridges on line does not ship internationally nor will it take an international credit card.  If you find yourself in these locations, then I say you buy it in person!  Or ask a friend to purchase for you.

4 comments :

  1. Hello dear,
    it's my first time to see your blog and I am glad I found this post. I have Suqqu large eyeshadow brush and it works great! It's so soft and dense, the only downside it has is the steep price it offers.
    I am thinking to get Suqqu cheek brush too previously but I keep on thinking whether I really should get it because it's so expensive and it does not look as pretty as it should be. Do you have NARS Yachiyo brush? If so, may I know what do you think of both NARS brush and this brush?

    xx Meryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meryl,
      That Suqqu L eyebrush is really lovely; glad you know you are enjoying it. All these Suqqu brushes are really nice, but the prices really are so deep. I have heard the Nars Yachiyo is really good for pigmented brushes but have no experience with it personally. I'm guessing you may get the same application effect, you just won't get the same softness of the hairs.

      Delete
    2. I have NARS Yachiyo and honestly, it's a bit scratchy on the face. It sheds from time to time and all my synthetic haired brushes beat the Yachiyo in softness. It's $50 that I wish I spent towards the Suqqu cheek brush instead. (Well that sounded oddly depressing...) Have you tried the Shiseido brushes Belly? I've heard they're somewhat comparable to the Suqqu and definitely more accessible!

      Delete
    3. I've heard that the Nars Yachiyo is scratchy, too and that the Hakuhodo version is much softer. :/
      I've not tried the Shiseido, BUT looks awesome adorable when Dick Page uses them in the videos!

      Selfridges online ships internationally now and the VAT gets deducted. If you buy something pricey such as the cheek brush, it offsets a good chunk of the shipping fee. Maybe relook at the Suqqu cheek again, Jane? :DD

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! What say you?

Feel free to link to your own or other blogs posts that are relevant to our discussion here. That is always encouraged. I love finding new great blogs to read! Relevant is the key word here! I reserve right to delete!

But for all our sake, no promotions or referrals to your blogsales, swaps, contests and the like.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...